Wednesday, August 30, 2023

 

8-30-23

This is my most recent drawing that I did a few weeks ago.  I guess I was taking a break from posting it....maybe dragging my feet?  Actually, I'm happy with the way this drawing turned out.  It developed on it's own out of the blank page.  With my work, sometimes I work things out on in my mind...call it creating in my head.  I'd climb into bed, close my eyes, and create art work.  It sure is easy to erase.  : > )  Other times I would just stare at the blank page and wait for something to pop into my head, or just see a picture on the blank page.  In this drawing using the other way I create, I just start drawing or doodling or making random lines on the page and see what develops.  I'll see something and then I add a few details to bring it out more, maybe don't like it, and continue making lines or marks.  Drawing this way doesn't always work out.  Sometimes, it's a bust and I will just abandon or chuck it.  I try to remind myself that one can have a good idea, but we don't take it (or develop it) far enough to see that it is or can be good.  In this drawing, I like the tree/waterfall falling into the fish bowl.  I'm not sure where that came from.  The funny thing is that I'm often surprised by what develops or comes out (or is it up?) in the drawing.  Anyway, I think there are many ways to create.  I can't count the number of times (and to this day) staring at a wall or even bathroom paneling or door that has a marbled look and see faces and all kinds of things.  I often wanted to draw on those surfaces, but that would not be acceptable.  In this drawing, I did add watercolor wash to it, and I will be posting that shortly.  

Thanks for reading.  Russ Eng

StudioEng.com