Wednesday, June 14, 2023

 

6-14-23

 Here's the finished work (see my last entry), where I've added color to the pen and ink drawing.  Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Way back in the day (When was that, after art school or while still in art school?), I used to do a lot of pen and ink drawing,  I remember I did a series of drawings using Rapidograph pens and watercolor washes.  I liked it a lot, and I just recently recalled working in that media.  This is only 5 x 7, but I like the small format (or maybe a bit larger).  I feel a sense of intimacy within the small space.  Anyway, I think I'll be exploring and/or reacquainting myself with this combo of pen and ink and watercolor wash.  Had I used my Pelikan fountain pen, I would have had to spray fix the drawing to 'waterproof' it before adding color.  As I mentioned before, I love my Pelikan fountain pen with its flexible nib, but the possible drawback is the water-soluble ink.  I also love Rapidograph pens, having used them for decades.  Although you don't have a flexible nib, the fixed line width is wonderful as well, and you can choose what width pen you want to use.  I have often use several widths in the same picture.  If you use a Rapidograph pen, be aware that you must use technical pen ink, which is a permanent ink formulated just for use in technical pens.  Regular India ink would gum up your pen.  

Thanks for reading, Russ

https://studioeng.com/