Monday, February 13, 2023


 Here's another recent drawing I did.  I haven't decided if I will add color to it or not.  I also might add a bit more detail.  I'm not sure, but I think I did this drawing with a permanent fine line marker. If so, I can use watercolors and there should be no bleeding.  Sometimes, it is best to 'sit on it' for awhile.  I will move on to doing other work in the meantime. 

I was thinking about a lot of the work that I do, fantasy or landscape.  With landscapes, I find myself wanting to mentally place myself inside the landscape to enjoy the peace and harmony I tried to create.  With some of the fantasy work (see my last posted picture), I try to share some of the 'happy space' from my internal world, a world filled with images, ideas, thoughts, symbols, etc that have stayed with me all these years.  I find it interesting that some themes keep coming up to the surface in my work.  

Tip: Every artist has a right to 'blow it' with their work.  Sometimes things move slowly or not at all, and sometimes, things just flow creatively like a river.  Every time you lift a pen or brush or whatever to create, you're taking a risk.  Take the risk, the plunge.  And, if you 'blow it', remind yourself you sometimes have to go through the crap to get to the good stuff.  Also, try changing your pencil to pen or charcoal, or changing brush to pen.  Switching up may get you flowing again.  

The above tip was really hard to me back in art school, because every piece of paper or board or canvas was so precious.  I felt that I couldn't afford to blow anything.  Those were the 'good old days'.