Monday, December 5, 2022

 

 Here's a beginning sketch (1), further development of the sketch (2), and final sketch with color added (3).  

In the first (beginning) sketch, I was doodling using my Rapidograph pen (about 0.5mm, or maybe 0.3mm point).  The Rapidograph pens are technical pens and use permanent technical ink (non viscous, so as to not clog the tip).  I like using both the Rapidograph pens as well as my wonderful Pelikan 120 fountain pen.  As I mentioned before, the only drawback of the Pelikan 120 fountain pen is that it uses water soluble ink.  This means that in order to add watercolors to a drawing done with the Pelikan, I would have to spray a 'Workable fixative' on the drawing first.  You saw in my last post what happens when I accidentally got 3 drops of water on the drawing.  As with any ink drawing, it's near impossible to make changes (as in erasures) to the drawing.  you might be able to cover it up with more ink lines...maybe.  Also, depending on the situation, it may be possible to 'mop up' the mistake with a clean brush and water, but it usually leaves a smudge.  With Rapidograph drawing mistakes, if small/minute, you might be able to use an Xacto knife and carefully delicately scrape the ink off if your paper is thick enough.  More often than not, whatever you draw/put down, that's it.  True, I could scan and digitize and then erase, but I don't like doing that.  The original is still what it is.  

By the way, for those of you who haven't tried drawing/sketching with a fountain pen (one with a flex nib), I recommend you try it.  I find it a wonderful experience; it feels very 'free' or 'liberating' to draw this way.  The pen glides very freely over the paper.  The technical pen, not so much, but I love that too, and use it for my calendar art exclusively.  

In the 'further development sketch', I've added more detail.  Talking about composition/layout, I'm not sure I like the waterfall coming down on the human figure's head, but I can't do much about it.  

This sketch is a 5 x 7 sketch.  I'm considering making into a greeting card.  We'll see.  Aside from my paintings, I kind of like working in smaller formats.  It's easier in some ways.  For example, I don't have to constantly step back to look and check out a work in progress, although I do have a reducing lens (another great tool to have on hand).  

In the 3rd picture (final with color added), I used high quality watercolors, as opposed to colored markers.  I find markers limiting in color choice, and I'm not sure how fugitive the colors are.  While I'm thinking about it, I would suggest to art students to never use inferior paints or brushes or any other artist tool.  It's not worth it, as it is being 'penny wise and pound foolish'.  It gives the artist a horrible experience creating.  Anyway, I think I colored the waterfall and made it stand out more.  Too late now.  

I was thinking about my days in art school, and how most of us students had little money and had to deal with art supplies that were relatively expensive (no discount in the student store).  We had to figure out ways to 'cut corners' without sacrificing quality.  For example, I started using newsprint pads for my life drawing classes, but quickly switched over to using more expensive white bond 19 x 24 pads.  I would sometimes draw 2 or 3 drawings on one page if I could.   Sometimes when working with oil pastels, turpentine, and pencil, I had to use the full page.  After the pad was used up, if need be, I'd draw on the backside (hated to do that!). 

                                                        Beginning Sketch


                                                        Developed Sketch


                                                        Finished Sketch with Watercolors added