Monday, August 31, 2020

 

Quick Sketch: IMG_102538

This was a sketch I did for my ‘Tropical Waterfalls’ painting.  It’s interesting how the painting often develops out to be different than the original sketch, sometimes more and sometimes less.  I often start my painting by just staring at the blank canvas until some vision that I like pops into my head and then I begin working directly on the canvas, ‘dry brushing’ (using a brush with not a lot of paint in it) in the sketch. At other times, I feel a need to do a sketch first, trying to work out some compositional problems.  




Phase 1: Beginning of painting: IMG_115345

Here I ‘dry brushed’ the basic composition onto the canvas.  I often add blocks of color into certain areas.  This is to help me get a feel for how it might look, or explore how I might want it to look.  I don’t bother with too much detail at this point, just basic indications of what will go where.  


Phase 2: IMG_210326

Here, I’m adding a few more plants, playing with the greens of the grass areas, playing with the color of the cliffs, and experimenting with the left rear area background.  
 
 
 

 

Phase 4: IMG_222646

Here I started darkening in the left background area. 

 

Phase 5: IMG_213558

Here I continued to add color, density, and detail to the background and foreground area. 

  

Phase 6: IMG_225832

Here I continued to flesh out the detail and color of the foreground and right palm trunk.  I changed the pink/orange sky, but I wasn't sure I liked the change.  

 


Phase 7: IMG_148326

I tried to fix the sky and added more detail to the leaves, etc.  

 


Phase 8 (Finished ptg.) IMG_202805

Painting finished. Overall, I was happy with the way it turned out.  My goal in painting is to create a safe and, hopefully, beautiful space where one can enter, explore, enjoy, meditate, and stay a while.