Sunday, October 13, 2019




I had a painting I did many many years ago.  I hated it.  It was a total bomb, totally embarrassing.  It just sat in the corner gathering dust.  I ‘came across it’ recently, and I had the same reaction: I hated it.  I decided it had to go.  I’m going to show you a series of 6 pictures over the next several days of my ugly painting being transformed.  I wished I had taken a picture of the ugly one, but then, I’d probably wouldn’t want to show anyone (Yeah, it was that bad).  On the other hand, I have to remind myself of one bit of wisdom from a now long lost painter friend: “Every artist has a right to blow it on a painting (or other work of art).”  Anyway, as I started painting, I quickly started covering the entire canvas with new fresh paint, just working spontaneously from the gut or heart.  I wanted to cover that ugly painting fast.  In a way, I love the fresh energetic feel of this first stage or go at painting over this canvas.  I think sometimes (and I’ve encountered this among students), many artists or art students want to just stop at this point and let it be finished, precisely because of the freshness, energy, and spontaneity that’s there.  But, I think you have to go on, because you ‘know’ it’s not finished.  If you always stop at this point, then you might get or can get very good at ‘getting to first base’.  The truth is that you have to run around all of the bases to get home.  I think the fear is that as you work your way towards home base (finished work of art), you may very well blow it (like getting thrown out at 2nd or 3rd base).  It’s a very real fear, because it happens.  
Russell Eng
StudioEng.com